Are we ready for a dual-screen laptop? Meet the 2021 ZenBook Duo 14 (UX482EG).
Let’s start with the obvious, the evolved ScreenPad Plus. In 2020 ASUS released the unprecedented ScreenPad Plus on its first-generation ZenBook Duo, providing users the ultimate edge in workflow and multitasking. The 2021 ZenBook Duo 14 now features AAS Plus (Active Aerodynamic System) with a new hinge design that lifts the 12.6-inch ScreenPad Plus by up to 7 degrees. Both screens are touch-enabled and both support Asus active stylus pen.
Depending on the hardware spec options, the ZenBook Duo 14 is roughly AUD$2,500 (check your local JB Hi-Fi, Bing Lee, or Harvey Norman stores).
The chassis and lid of the ASUS ZenBook Duo 14 UX482 are made of magnesium aluminum alloy that perfectly complement its prestigious Celestial Blue hue. Weighing in only 1.6kg and is 16.9mm slim, which is slightly lighter and slimmer than the previous generation.
As many of us continue to work or learn from home, having an extra screen can help you feel more organised and have visibility on multi-tasking without the need of purchasing a new desktop monitor. The software lets you easily launch, swap, and organise programs from the 12.6-inch lower screen.
ScreenPad Plus features a brand-new Control Center (or launch menu) and has a handful of nifty features. Users can adjust the location of the Control Center, minimise the taskbar into a floating button, and enables an auto-hide function that hides the taskbar entirely. There are a couple of convenient utilities or apps, including Quick Key (where you can access shortcuts to commands like cut, copy, and paste), Number Key (which pulls up a virtual number pad), and Handwriting (where you can scribble with the stylus and the text will show up wherever your cursor is).
For creative content creators, the Control Panel is an exciting new tool on the ZenBook Duo 14 UX482 dual-screen laptop that gives you precise and intuitive control over your creative apps. This function currently supports Adobe Premiere, After Effects, Photoshop, and Lightroom Classic. Enabling you to easily change brush sizes, change saturation, adjust layer opacity, and much more. The four types of control available are: Dial, Button, Slider, and Scroll.
Imagine photographers and video editors being able to chase the clouds and create amazing art.
I wasn’t too sure about the keyboard and touchpad layout, as I’m used to the keys across the full width of a laptop and touchpad below. I feel it provides limited wrist support and left-handers having to use their right hand to use the touchpad.
Let’s talk specs:
- CPU: Intel® CoreTM i7-1165G7. Both with AIPT sustained TDP boost to 28W (15W standard)
- High Speed Memory: Up to 16 GB LPDDR4X 4266MHz (on-board)
- Display: 14 inch FHD Anti-glare. Touchscreen with 100 % sRGB colour gamut and 400nits. 12.6 inch 1920×515 Anti-glare touchscreen with 400nits.
- High Speed SSD: Up to 1TB PCIe 3.0 x4 NVMe SSD
- Graphics: NVIDIA® GeForce® MX450 graphics
- Ports: 2 x ThunderboltTM 4 USB-C (Up to 40Gbps), 1 x USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A, 1 x full size HDMI 1.4, 1 x 3.5mm audio jack, 1 x microSD card reader, Intel® WiFi, 6 Bluetooth 5.0
- Battery: 70 Wh lithium-polymer battery
Dimensions: 324 x 222 x 16.9mm
- Weight: 1.6kg
Another feature I found useful with the hands-free login on the ZenBook Duo 14 UX482, using the infrared camera with Windows Hello with just a glance. The IR camera provides sharper image quality but also achieves more accurate white balance and colour saturation. Which is perfect for conducting Zoom or Teams meetings online, even in dim environments, like my study nook.
For the win:
- Tilting ScreenPad Plus: 12.6 inch matte touchscreen, giving your endless way to optimize your multitasking experience by extending the screen or split windows and apps on both displays
- 14 inch Full HD NanoEdge touchscreen glossy main display
- Intel Evo Platform – perfect combination of performance, responsiveness and battery life. Amazing performance with the 11th Gen Intel Core i7 processor. Vivid colors with Intel Iris Xe graphics. Fast-charging, long-lasting battery.
- Compatible with the amazing Windows 10 features such as Cortana and Windows Hello.
- ErgoLift design hinge: Improves your typing position, optimizes the cooling system and enhances audio performance.
- Harman Kardon audio: Ensures maximum volume with minimum distortion for powerful, clear sound, while the high-quality stereo speakers and surround sound effects envelop you with cinema-quality audio.
If you’re looking for a two-screen device or a visual content creator that works on video and image editing often, this is a great laptop to consider.